1/05/2012

Would Pain-Free Animals Make a More Humane Hamburger?

Can we have a Pain-Free Big Mac?

Researches say that removing some genes could stop animals from feeling pain. Many people consider this humane because the animal doesn't suffer while it is being killed, but other people find this inhumane because you are removing the "skill of feeling pain" from the animal.
In recent years, scientists have made progress manipulating molecular and genetic bases for pain. A recent study found that mice that lack the Nav1.7 gene are less sensitive than normal mice to heat and pressure. Possibly, farm animals that lack such a gene would also suffer less "under factory farm conditions". But there are other alternatives to pain-free animals and one of them is to produce meat in vitro. This would be possible by growing animal muscles cells.

After reading this I ask myself a question; how would genetically modified meat affect the way I eat and I enjoy the meat? Would I have cancer? I think that manipulating the feelings of the animals is not the solution to stop this because by doing it we would control the animals and not let them live a normal life. I as a Human would not like anyone to control my hole life; I would find it inhuman. This is why I think that probably the best way to stop the animals from suffering is to stop killing them.

Don't forget to check my DP: http://aitorbarrantesdigitalportfolio.weebly.com

1 comment:

  1. Are you proposing universal vegetarianism? or an end to factory farming? Do you eat meat? Does this article make you want to stop? Should money be spent on something else rather than genetic modification?

    ReplyDelete